Thursday, December 22, 2011

'Tis the Season

I wish I was writing a super happy, woohoo it is Christmas sort of blog...but not today.  I'm sure it will happen, I will get there.  But right now I'm in the middle of self-induced Mama Guilt. 

You see, we don't buy a lot of presents.  Some of it is economical, some of it is practical (space limitations), but most of it is because we think our kids don't NEED a lot of toys.  David and I agree on this, the kids don't know anything different, and I think we purchase more intentional presents when we can only pick one.

Cue Guilt.

"I should buy them more." "They will feel deprived." "I don't care about their childhood memories."  And the worst (for me) "They will think that we didn't care about them."  Sigh, it is horrible.

These moments happen often for me.  Not taking them to see the 'best' Santa, not purchasing new clothes for them, not taking enough pictures, not purchasing matching pjs for them, etc.  The number of ways I can doubt myself is almost embarrassing. 

'Tis the season to question everything I am as a mom.  Good thing it will end December 25th when I see the joy on their faces and realize none of the rest matters.


2 comments:

  1. Bah, don't guilt yourself... we bought Damion 1 thing.... just one. He's got so much crap I'm tempted to clear out half his room and donate it. Plus it has also kinda been my personal philosophy that while other people wait for special calendar dates to exchange gifts, i'll do it whenever the hell I feel like it... makes the act a bit more special if you think about it. Which would you prefer, a planned bouquet and a necklace every valentines day, or he gets you a single rose and a what-not at random throughout the year... just because he felt like it?

    Same can apply with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, yep, yep. I 100% agree. Our kids have plenty of stuff, and they don't know any different when it comes to Christmases. I would rather buy one "good" gift then a dozen tinkery gifts!

    ReplyDelete