Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Don't do that!

I am having a difficult time, because of financial issues and physical problems. A certain family member completely and totally dismisses everything that I say. I often don't speak to her about anything of substance because of her apathy, but I made the mistake and shared what is going on in my life. Her response? "Eh, whatever will happen will happen. It is no big deal." Now, I realize that there are situations beyond our control. I can do my best to work toward the best outcome, but there are things that I can't affect in the least. The first statement doesn't really bother me. Telling me that my problems are "no big deal" really upsets me. Now, to clarify, this particular person has been 'rescued' several times, and perhaps having her world fall down around her ears is no big deal to her because she's always been ok because of the help of others. Herein lies the difference: I am not going to ask to be rescued. We're going to take care of this ourselves, because that is important to us. It isn't a matter of independence or pride, we just feel that it is the right thing to do for us. We ask for reasonable help, sure, but we're not going to ask someone to buy us a house/car/etc to "fix it" for us.

I don't really know why I'm writing this. You don't care, and that's fine with me. Sometimes I guess it is just nice to say 'outloud', proclaim if you will, that we will not be rescued. We can do this ourselves. And no condescending statements are going to change us.

No comments:

Post a Comment