Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Boundaries

You know, sometimes being a stay at home mom really sucks.  I'm not talking about the social isolation, or the poopy diapers, or the lack of a paycheck.  Those things are bothersome but being at home with my kids is rewarding in other ways and it all works out.  The part that really puts my panties in a bunch is something else - the lack of respect by people that earn a paycheck.

This shows up in a lot of ways, and I'm not going to list all of them here.   One, it would be a more depressing blog than it already is.  Two, I don't have time to type it all out, I have laundry to fold.  But here's the scoop - I am not able to meet/do something for you/jump at your command.  Not for family, not the school, not the church, not doctor's offices, etc.  I have a job.  And while that job doesn't have a paystub, it is still a job.  A job that I take seriously.  You wouldn't expect me to drop everything and come running if I earned a wage.  What's the difference?

You should probably know something about me:  I am really good at setting boundaries.  I've had a lot of practice.  Furthermore I'm stubborn as hell.  If you demand from me, I will sit quietly and look at you like you've grown a third eye.  No arguments, no fuss.  I will tell you that won't work for me, and give you no excuses.  No is a one word sentence.  I know this for a fact - I have a two year old. 

Just be respectful of your fellow humans.  Trust that they are doing good for humanity, as much as you are and maybe a bit more.  Realize that their needs, time, and self-respect are important.

And use your manners, Mama said. 

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to your post. Thank you for sharing. BTW we still need to get together and hang out in between all of the laundry and picking up of kids etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't kidding!! FEISTY WOMAN, HEAR YOU ROAR!!!

    ReplyDelete