Friday, April 6, 2012

The Church Playground - Update



Last week the kids and I went to a nearby church and played at their public playground.  While we were playing a worker told me that the children from the church were not allowed to play with us as we are part of "you people."  I'm not sure what constitutes "you people" but I'm beginning to become proud of my membership.  Better than "those people." ;-)

I called a few times and finally got a call back from a minister at the church.  Actually, I'm not sure he's a minister but got a call from *someone* at the church.  He said he wasn't in charge of "those people" who run the children's programming but recognized that someone could find that language offensive.  (Not that the language IS offensive.)  He said that the church required that the adults interacting with the children were required to have a background check.  Um, ok.  I wasn't trying to interact with the children.  My child was trying to play with other children.  Is she required to have a background check as well?  What about those children - I don't know anything about them.  I know, I'm awfully trusting - letting my supervised child play with other children without proper investigation.  Sigh...

I digress...and giggle at the thought of a background check for a two year old.

The minister (?) said that they will review what people should say.  He also said that the people are interns and so they don't really know what to say.  *eyeroll* I told him that this language was bigoted and that it could drive someone away from God. 

He told me that we're welcome to play on the playground as long as church members aren't there.  I asked him if that was posted, it is not.  I don't know if we will return to that park - part of me wants to just out of spite - but we will play whenever we please.  Jesus doesn't have a playdate schedule.

1 comment:

  1. Well... I guess it makes sense, the whole background checks thing... But they sure didn't handle it very well!! I don't feel very satisfied on your behalf. <3

    ReplyDelete