Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Stress Brain

I'm not sure you're familiar with this syndrome, but it is the feeling that you can not recall anything.  You babble instead of talk.  You stare sometimes.  I get a bit giggly and weird.  It is Mom Stress Brain.

I figure moms are already running on less sleep.  We don't catch up after having the babies, then we can't sleep the same because we listen to our kids.  Our mom radar is on all the time.  It is mentally exhausting and we can't turn it off.  I prefer to think of all of this happening in the 90% of our brain that we don't use, but I'm not sure.  I know that when I am stressed the regular functions of mom brain bleed into the rest of my functions.

I walk into a room and have no idea what I needed, or even walking into the room.  Having a conversation with my husband is pointless - I have no idea what he's talking about.  Can't follow a movie to save my life.  (I prefer Lifetime Original Movies because you can just predict them and be fine.)  You go through the motions and can even make it to the grocery store, but you will buy all sorts of things and forget the one thing you needed to get.  Nothing more miserable than unpacking all your things and realizing you forgot toilet paper - and you only have half a roll left. 

I won't get into all the stress here.  Let's just say that there are some things going on with a kid, but everyone is happy and healthy.  I will write about it but I will dedicate a post or two to all that is going on.  Let's just say that there is a lot of stress in the house and I apparently can't think through the stress fog to function well.  

A few Mom Stress Brain instances today:
  • I boiled a pot of water dry before remembering I was going to boil eggs.
  • I'm not sure I ever called my kids or the dog by their correct name.
  • It took me four tries to move my car so that the driver's side was near the vacuum at the carwash.
  • I called my dad and was surprised when he answered - I forgot who I was calling.
  • I correctly read about 1/3 of the bedtime book with my son.  Most of the rest was weird combinations of words and gibberish.  
  • It took me 10 minutes to decide on the type of ice cream I wanted.  I got the cheapest - basically I let Dave Ramsey decide.
  • I washed an empty washer and forgot to start the dryer. 
I have no idea if this blog makes sense.  I actually read it before posting, which is unusual, and it seems to make sense.  But this is coming from the lady who circled the parking lot of CVS three times before parking because I couldn't decide on a parking spot.  The parking lot was practically empty.  Who does that?

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to more than one of those 'stress' items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also can relate to more than one of those 'stress' items.

    ReplyDelete