Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'm such a follower

Sort of.

I have always been outspoken and opinionated. Obnoxiously so, much to the pleasure of my parents. I have learned to curtail my outburts when appropriate (or I'm not in the mood to argue) but I've never just stayed quiet. Blame it on my large family, or my dad's dragging me to political functions and parades, or my desire to piss people off. Speaking up has been such a huge part of my makeup.

Then it happened.

We moved to Dallas, TX. 500+ miles away from 99% of the people we know. And the center of conservative-ville.

We moved 2 months before the 2008 election. I still wore my Obama tshirt, kept the bumper stickers on my car, but I didn't say what I wanted to say. I joined a few online boards, made some friends - still didn't say what I think. I hinted here and there (and, let's face it, driving the Obama-mobile is telling in itself) but I didn't say what I would normally say. I got comfortable censoring myself, got in the habit of it. Muted myself in a lot of ways, thinking that life would be easier if I just stopped being so me.

I am over it. Like me, don't like me, whatever. But I'm not going to keep quiet any longer. And it feels really good.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for you! Where did you move from? I must have missed that post on Dam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say what you want. Be who you want to be. Never compromise who you are.

    ReplyDelete