Saturday, July 17, 2010

Adventures in Sitting

I was thinking about the Babysitters Club books the other day. I didn't read many of them, mainly because I wasn't allowed to at school because I was an advanced reader, and partly because my life mirrored them so much that it wasn't entertaining. Who needs fictional babysitters when you're chasing after your little brother? Anyhow, I realized how absolutely sexist those books really were. Geesh, the message that women should be raising kids and washing dishes is everywhere.

This is what I ponder whilst I sit.

Do you think it would be easier for me to sit (and not physically help my kids, take care of the house, or run errands) if I were male? I could do my husband's job while sitting. (Of course, I'm not quite sure what he does, but I know it requires computer work and sitting) I can't do my "job" while sitting. Or at least not all of it.

I really think my expectations are being skewed by this stinking society I've been raised in. I like to think I'm useful. Sitting isn't useful.

I think I need to do some research on things that I can do while sitting. And, while I'm doing my research, I'll sit!

No comments:

Post a Comment