Thursday, July 15, 2010

Julie and Julia

(I've been trying to sit, and watching movies seems to help me keep my ass connected to the couch. Please excuse the rampant movie-watching.)

I've been wanting to watch this movie for quite a while, simply because Julia Child was part of the movie plot. My mom was a checker at a grocery store while Dad went to Harvard. Julia Child went through Mom's lane. She was apparently tall and nice. And, since she was famous and still was nice to the check out girl, I like her.

The movie started out with a fast enough plot to keep my attention, but then soon began to drag. I suppose, to be fair, it would be difficult to write a quick-paced action-y sort of movie about cooking, and the writers did the best that they could. Meryl Streep was a wonderful Julia Child. I wonder if they modified the sets to make her look taller. (I bet they did). All the rest of the acting was good, but with nobody to compare to it, was not remarkable. The food, however, looked delicious.

Both Julie and Julia talked a lot whilst their husbands patiently listened. Reminded me a lot of my own marriage. After discussing it for about 15 minutes with my husband, all the while he was listening intently, he said he was going to bed. I can't imagine staying quiet that long. Good thing he found me to listen to or he'd be terribly bored.

All in all, 3 1/2 out of 5. I would buy the movie if it were cheap enough, but I wouldn't pay full price. And I want a string of pearls to wear while cooking dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment