Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Christian Love unless.....

Yesterday I took the kids to play at a privately owned park.  A larger church owns the playground and allows children from the neighborhood play there as long as they are supervised.  We have gone there several times - it is a block from our house, there is a separate area for small kids, the church folk there have been friendly and welcoming.

When we arrived yesterday there were some little kids playing and a few church folk watching them.  Every single time K ran toward them, the workers shooed their kids away.  This happened for about 10 minutes.  I was puzzled but thought that they were protecting K in some way.  Finally a girl approached me and asked me if she could gently push K in the swing while I was nearby.  I told her yes.  Then IT happened.  The worker told me that the kids aren't allowed to play with "People Like Us."

There was the moment of pure Mama Bear rage.  I don't care who you think you are, don't think of my kid as one of Them.  Then it passed.  I thought "maybe it is a liability thing" or "maybe I heard her wrong."  The more I watched these workers though, the more I realized that they were prejudiced against people that came and played at the park. 

We live in a poor,  culturally diverse area.  I have seen the people that attend this church.  Based on the cars the congregants drive and what I've seen while visiting the church, the attendees don't match the demographics of the people that live in this area.  But isn't that why they have the playground - as a service to the community?  There is another large church here (also not representative of our area) and they have locked their playgrounds to prevent "People Like Us" from using it.  Their message is clear, and it makes me furious, but at least it is not being said in front of my children.  

I wonder what sort of People I am.  White middle class female with two fairly well-dressed kids.  That's what I presented at the park.  No political, social, or religious t-shirts, no buttons, I didn't even have any visible tattoos.  I was wearing my wedding ring.  I am baffled.  I am presuming that "People Like Us" are poor people.  *Gasp*  A church allowing poor kids to play on their nice playground equipment - certainly that isn't what Jesus would do.  Every time a poor kid goes down a slide there is a kitten burns in hell.  (Obviously I am typing with a good slathering of sarcasm.  If you didn't know this you're probably pretty confused. And you should stop reading this blog.)

My church has had playground equipment.  The kids in the area defaced it, the thing was falling apart.  The church ended up taking it down for safety purposes, but not because other people were using it.  There is a big field behind our church - people are welcome to use that.  It seems obvious, of course people are welcome in our yard, in our church, with us.  I can't imagine thinking any other way.

I called the minister today to set an appointment and was not able to reach anyone.  I will try again tomorrow.  This is too important to me to leave it alone.  It isn't about my kids, where we can play.  It is about all of those kids.  No, it is even more than that.  I think that, if they are going to profess Christianity, the only way they can prove their faith is to show Christian love to everyone.  Everyone.  Even these cute kiddos.  I'm proud that I'm part of these People.


3 comments:

  1. WOW! What an outrage! I can certainly understand your need to speak with that pastor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am DYING for the NEXT post... the one that tells the outcome of post-pastor conversation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reflecting on this experience for a few days now (although because of mid-terms my days are a bit messed up so it could have only been a few hours ago or a week ago) I think this is when it is so important to continually live out YOUR OWN faith as a Christian. It is beyond the words that are used such as Love, or even Those, it is about actions. Words hurt, often more than they are given credit for, but it is truly actions that speak louder than words. There are all kinds of people out there in the world, and we are all part of the human race all creations of God, each. and. every. one. of. us. even the people who use phrases as "those people" so what do we do with that, how do respond to people who are not like us, or those who m you disagree with? Some dead theologian once talked about culture and the image of God and said something along the lines of the way we understand the image of God transforms as the culture around us changes, or rather the way we communicate the image of God changes. Words are everywhere, we can say whatever we want about whatever we want weather there is fact behind it or not. So now, it is more important than ever, to speak with our actions, that is how we can now convey the message of God, convey your personal relationship with God, convey how you desperately want others to experience God. How do you live out the word?
    (Didn’t mean to get all theological, and I’m probably just preaching to the choir but I am sorry you and your children experienced God that way but I know you have the tools and passion to live out a very different message and I encourage you in your journey)

    ReplyDelete