Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shhhhh

I am an otter.  No really, I am.  There is a personality index that puts personalities into four categories: lion, golden retriever, beaver, and otter.  The otter talks a lot, is social, won't shut up, is impulsive.  If you ask me to join you I will say "yes" before I know what you're going to say.  This poses all sorts of problems - from fights with family to impulsively signing up to volunteer for everything - but it is also kind of fun.  Being an otter is an adventure; otters like adventures so it is a good fit.  

As you might guess I tend to put my opinion on here, FB, boards, emails, bumper stickers on my car, clothing for myself and the kids, etc.  I don't intend to change someone's mind necessarily.  I really like talking about issues.  Not a monologue, but a discussion about a topic.  It gets my blood going - thinking about something from the another person's point of view, defending what I think, even (gulp) changing what I think.  It is an amazing feeling for this otter.  

I wondered today if it bothered some folk that I post things all over like Aubrey-graffiti.  I am opinionated.  If you visit my fb page you will see something sociopolitical.  You can identify my car immediately because of the bumper stickers.  I wear buttons, talk to people, smile at folks that have similar shirts/stickers.  

Then the doubt creeps in.  Everyone disagrees with me.  (Well, I *am* in Texas, so that is a true assessment.)  I am annoying or immature for speaking my mind.  Nobody cares what I think - I am not that important.  I should just go with the flow, stop making a fool of myself.

Then my otter becomes Super Otter, complete with cape.  My opinion IS important.  I have the right to express it to whomever and however I please.  If a person doesn't agree with the message or medium they can discuss it with me.  (Oh please, I love The Banter)  If that is too scary, feel free to ignore me.  I don't mind.  Hell, I'm an otter, I won't even notice.  But never expect me to shut up.

4 comments:

  1. Where did you take this test! :D I think I might be an otter too, ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep being you- you're beautiful inside and out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of you in a cape as an otter, puffing out your chest, going all Norma Rae on the world.

    ReplyDelete